Latest Event Updates
I was going through some hockey cards this afternoon, and came across a box that I bought earlier this year. I already have a few of these particular cards and I have decided that I’m going to give them away.
My plan is to do a trivia on twitter (you can follow me here), set a time limit (probably an hour), mark everyone down who guessed the correct answer and randomly pick the winner.
I have 12 cards in total that I’m willing to giveaway, and if you win, you choose which card you want.
If you’re the winner, you will get a direct message from myself on Twitter.
Here are the cards that are available.
This years Steelheads training camp will consist of 30 forwards, 15 defenseman and 6 goaltenders. You can expect a good chunk of veterans to return, including goaltender Spencer Martin, defenseman Trevor Carrick, centerman Dylan Smoskowitz, as well as draft picks Damian Bourne and Bobby MacIntyre from last season.
This years first round draft pick Sean Day, and second round picks Jesse Barwell and Austin Gerhart will also be participating.
Again, there will be two Blue and White scrimmages that will be free to the public, the first taking place August 29th at 1:30 p.m. and the second on August 30th at 1:30 p.m at the Hershey Centre community rinks.
The Mississauga Steelheads will kick off their training camp on Wednesday August 28th at the Hershey Centre community rinks.
In this season’s training camp, it will once again feature two Blue and White inter-squad scrimmages, the first taking place on August 29th at 1:30pm and the second on August 30th at 1:30.
If you’re looking for something to do next week, head down to the rink and welcome back your favorite players, and check out draft picks such as Sean Day, Austin Gerhart and Jesse Barwell as they begin their Ontario Hockey League careers.
The NHL finally released its 2013-14 regular season schedule and division names following the agreement to send players to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Opening night (October 1st) will feature three games.
- The Montreal Canadiens will host the Toronto Maple Leafs at 7:00 p.m,
- The Chicago Blackhawks will raise their 2013 Stanley Cup banner as they host the Washington Capitals at 8:00 p.m.
- And to finish the night, the Edmonton Oilers will host the Winnipeg Jets at 10:00 p.m.
The four new divisions will be called Metropolitan, Atlantic, Central and Pacific.
Metropolitan: Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Carolina Hurricanes and Columbus blue Jackets.
Atlantic: Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins, Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers.
Central: Winnipeg Jets, Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators and St. Louis Blues.
Pacific: Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, Phoenix Coyotes and Anaheim Ducks.
There will be six-regular season games played outdoors this season.
2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic
- The Toronto Maple Leafs will faceoff against the Detroit Red Wings at Michigan Stadium Wednesday, Jan. 1.
Coors Light NHL Stadium Series
- Anaheim Ducks vs. Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium Saturday, Jan. 25
- New York Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils at Yankee Stadium Sunday, Jan. 26
- New York Rangers vs. New York Islanders at Yankee Stadium Wednesday, Jan. 29
- Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Chicago Blackhawks at Soldier Field Saturday, March 1
2014 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic
- Ottawa Senators vs. Vancouver Canucks at BC Place Sunday, March 2.
Important Dates 2013-14
- Training Camp Opens – Wednesday, Sept. 11
- Exhibition Games Begin – Friday, Sept. 13
- Regular Season Opens – Tuesday, Oct. 1
- Hall of Fame Game – Friday, Nov. 8
- Christmas Break – Tuesday, Dec. 24 – Thursday, Dec. 26
- Hockey Day In Canada – Saturday, Jan. 18
- Olympic Break — Sunday, Feb. 9 – Tuesday, Feb. 25
- The Trade Deadline figures to be Wednesday, Mar. 5.
- Last Day of Regular Season – Sunday, Apr. 13
- Stanley Cup Playoffs Begin – Wednesday, Apr. 16
Be sure to follow me on Twitter at @Dale_Lamontagne. If you have any questions for me, feel free to shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Monday afternoon that they have agreed to an affiliation with the Orlando Solar Bears of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL). Toronto will join the Minnesota Wild and Iowa Wild in supplying prospects to the Solar Bears roster come the 2013-14 season.